Thursday, March 26, 2009

Miss Baked Alaska

This lady is a friend of mine way back in my freshman year in college. I’ll call her Baked Alaska because I just feel like it. It is a dessert and has nothing to do with her name. Anyhow it is connected with her in a way that it is essential to where she is standing right now. Oops! No, she is in the hospital right now recuperating. While I was busy constructing the profile of my new craze – blogging she popped up at Skype and we chatted until she realized that it was almost 3 am. It was my first time to hear from her in over 30 years. We were communicating thru the email in the last 5 years (maybe) but not talking live. Before parting I invited her to view my blog. So she was my first invite and the reason to keep on writing so that my blogs are ready when she’s up. I hope she will enjoy reading my blogs and if ever she will give time to read I would like to take this opportunity to wish her to get well soon. With the so many topics that we talked about I forgot to tell her my well wishes. Our conversation was jovial, somewhat short despite the 1 hour and 30 minutes talk time. She’s got a beautiful grandson and living a good life with her family and friends.

By the way I got all the time to create all this craziness because its holiday here in Mali today. It's the annivesary of the end of the despotic martial rule of Pres. So and so (I forgot the name), the day democracy was regained.

Independence day is in September when the French declared the Malians independent from their colony. French and the vernacular dialect, Bambara are the medium of communication here. Unfortunately, I can't speak the French language with fluency. I would love to learn the French way but the twisting of the tongue is so difficult. The sound is so diffirent from what you read. Besides, the accent of the Africanized french is diifferent from the Parisian french; it's like the Canadian french of Quebec. Bonaparte would rise from the grave and scold me if he hears my french and I would say, "Oh la la! Pardon Monsieur Bonaparte pour le moi Francais, C'est terrible" (OMG! Sorry Mr. Bonaparte for my French, it's terrible)

Au revoir. A bien tout.

5 comments:

  1. After being here for almost 9 years - still no French, except "Sortie" - meaning Exit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right emarene (how do I call you here ba?). I think French is language that must be learnt from childhood. Makasuya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. emarene: Since you are already a seasoned blogger, don't you find my blogs "OA". I feel something is over here that perhaps I could snip right away while still in the bud. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much do you know about Miss Baked Alaska? After all those years went by. I still have contact with some old friends in H/S, some changed & to mention few stayed the same. It's good to keep in touch. Actually, HIGH SCHOOL life is the best of all. I don't mind going back the passed.

    grandma of 1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma of 1: I've known Baked Alaska as what she was in HS and the personal info she shared thru the email. To me she stayed the same. She seem to look bigger in the pictures but it's normal as we get old. I don't like to go back to HS -- I hate assignments, projects and periodic exams. Just bring my HS face and body to present, I like that. LOL.

    ReplyDelete