Thursday, March 26, 2009

Coming To Africa

In October of 1997 I packed up my things and left my supervisory job to join the horde of oversea workers seeking for greener pastures outside the boundaries of our beloved Philippines. Destination: Mali, West Africa. This is not my first stint in Africa. In 1995 – 1996 I worked in Libya, a Muslim country up north of African continent and inhabited by fair-skinned men of Arabic descent. After 14 lingering and lonely months, straight in a row without leave, I went home for good. Luckily without gap I was able to find a job locally. But not longer than a year my happy feet was set to leave again . For us Filipinos, to work abroad is always an opportunity, so I went ahead with full of hope.

In almost 13 years of working in Africa 11 years of which is spent in Mali. Other places were Guinea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast and Libya. Places of stopover include South Africa, Kenya, Senegal, Nigeria, Burkina Fasso and Sierra Leone. Some places are cold and some are extremely hot. What is common to all these countries are you see blacks everywhere.

Mali is now like a home to me. After all these years I have grown to love the place. I’ve seen how their capital city, Bamako progressed into a better place, villages with no electricity before and now they’re enjoying one. Villagers in bicycles before are now driving motor bikes made in China, quite an improvement. The newly-tarred road we used to negotiate before had become pot-holed and difficult to travel in the recent years after seasons of rain, but now, it’s re-tarred and tolled. I saw how the years unfold before my eyes. But most of all children before that we used to kid and scare are now in their teens still remembering me as the big and stout Lito. I’m counting years here in Mali as well as the number of my waist.

Years back this place was top 5 of the poorest countries in the world. How ironic? This is where I earn my bread and butter. This is where the blessings that my family enjoys come from. Mali, the place where I exchange Philippines for greener pasture, yet cattle here are
grazed on dried turf during long summer months; the place of milk and honey where it is abundant in real life; the place where my future lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment