Friday, March 27, 2009

Carelessness And You

At noontime today I went to buy a phone card coz I need to call home for some very important matter. While tearing the plastic cover of the card I have decided to load it later as I have to rush before the queue at the canteen gets long, so I slid the card and phone into my pocket. At the queue I searched my pocket for the meal ticket. Then I took my food from the serving counter to the table. As I was sitting I thought of loading the credit into my phone. When I searched my pocket I was dismayed to find out that the card was lost. My heart was beating fast because the amount of that card is worth a fortune, enough to pay a month’s bill for our internet connection at home. I stood and followed back my way and looked every corner of the hall. I was too shy to shout if anyone had found a card. I’m just glad I didn’t. All the faces present their in the hall looked guilty to me. I went outside and trailed back my way to the commissary where I bought the card. I even asked the sales clerk if he has given me the card even if I am sure he did. I was hoping he would say, “No”, but he said, “Yes, I did”. He was right. Realizing that it was hopeless finding it I went back to the canteen and continued eating my lunch. I tried hard not think about it but I couldn’t stop from hating myself for being careless. Whose fault was that? If someone saw it dropped on the pavement and just kept quiet and then secretly picked it up then he is guilty of dishonesty. But if he picked it up and I was not there anymore then I consider him to be lucky, and it’s my fault for being careless. If it was you who saw the card dropped would you call my attention? Or you found the card and no one was there, would you bother yourself to find out who the owner is or go inside the canteen and tell the staff to put the card in the lost and found box or register? Your answer will reflect what kind of person are you so be very careful.

2 comments:

  1. OK, "Careless Whisper". Here's my thoughts.
    I'm sure the commissary is the nearest place to get one. I would inquire at the counter if who purchased a phonecard between those hours. Maybe a good description.

    No way, I would take it to the canteen, probably everyone in the room will claim the item. I consider phone a card as a negotiable item.

    grandma of 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. grandma and 1:

    I agree with you. I wont waste my time taking it to the canteen.

    ReplyDelete