Friday, September 3, 2010

On Coming of Age

A few days ago, a family member died in her sleep. My aunt, the wife of my mother's elder brother. She was 85. I was saddened by the news and couldn't believe in the beginning. She was still fine when I left last June. She was a frequent visitor of my mother. She usually comes in the morning. They would talk about anything, from memories of their childhood to current events. They would sing old songs, laugh and even cry when they remember about sad experiences. Now that she was plucked to join her Maker, my mother lost a morning guest and a contemporary.

Her demise made me think of my own vulnerability--a thought that never crossed my mind in my younger years. But now, if time and destiny wills that I live the age as my aunt's and considering that I have survived for half a century then it's not far to happen. Aspirations, undone missions in my life deliberately dissuade me to think of the inevitable. Yet, I'm aware of it's coming.

Nature has a way of dealing this. Our views of life and disposition attunes with our age. My mother who is 80 now speaks of her own end with confidence and unperturbed like it's going to happen any time soon. For us, it's consternation that we don't like to hear. For her, it's coming of age in nature's way and of course, God's grace and will.

No comments:

Post a Comment