Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Old Lady Turned 80


Last November 7, 2009 my mother, Salvacion, more known as Salving celebrated her 80th birthday. An event that had been most awaited with excitement by us.

The long respite from blogging took toll on the precious memoir of this celebration. The idea of writing this in my blog lingered in my thoughts for so long until I got this chance. I wouldn't let this pass lest something happens to me and this memoir is left undocumented. My blog is my diary, albeit notable events shouldn't be missed.

Her big day started with a holy mass in the morning, officiated by Fr. Fruto and joined by family members, friends and relatives and of course, by other church-goers. I wasn't there. The reason was simple, I was working -- in Africa and the date didn't fall on my leave. But I was in full support for the success of this momentous event. After the mass they had breakfast at home in quite a special way -- more food than usual and held outdoor, in our terrace. Lunch was a family affair.

Then dinner came. Since she was expecting a large number of guests it was held in Chua's place, right across the street in front of our house. The venue was decorated under the management of an event coordinator and the food was catered by Cafe Hermoso and supplemented by from Lai-lai's and home-prepared dishes. The ever-present pork lechon, roast beef and Chevon (Goat's meat) delicacies were never a miss.

The night was fun-filled. Attended by convivial friends and relatives. Her son in-law, Manoling serenaded her with a sentimental song and and so did Loraine, her feisty granddaughter sung a beautiful rendition. The children "apos" rendered a dance number. My birthday message for her which I sent through email was read by my sister Rosemarie.

My letter:

My ever dearest Mommy Salving,

Though I'm thousands of miles away I never miss to think of you especially this very day of yours, your 80th natal day. My message for you is short and sweet. I love you for being my mother. I'm sorry for my mistakes, I know I hurt your feelings sometimes. Thank-you for all the times you have been with us and for the sad and happy moments that we shared. And let us thank God for the 80 years of celebrating life. I wish you Happy Birthday dear mother and more years to come.

Your loving son,

Lito

Everyone had their fill of the preparation and even brought their loved ones left at home with "bring-house" treat. Then followed the dancing and drink, drink and drink until the wee hours.

1 comment: